Saturday, March 27, 2010

Welcome to the reTails Blog!

Welcome to the reTails blog! reTails was created to bring great adoptable animals and solutions for pet owners right into the neighborhoods, conveniently located where people live and shop. The idea is to merge the best qualities of an animal rescue organization with the convenience of a pet store.

By committing to help pet owners solve problems that often lead to pets being surrendered to animal shelters; by providing people with a convenient way to adopt rescued cats and dogs; by working closely with other animal welfare organizations and making customer service a priority, reTails intends to slow and eventually end the killing of cats and dogs in shelters that still happens daily in Indianapolis.

Whether you are a current pet owner, are interested in adopting a pet, interested in fostering a cat or dog, or are just an animal lover, we hope this blog will offer something for you.

I'm a reTails volunteer and foster dogs. I never thought I'd be a foster since I wasn't sure I'd be able to give up a dog after caring for it for any period of time. I'll be honest, it is hard for me to give up my foster dogs. Knowing that they now have good homes does help some. In each case, the dogs that I fostered would have been euthanized had I not taken them in. Yes, I could have simply adopted one of those dogs. However, my current situation prohibits me from having more than 2 dogs. Had I simply kept my first dog, those other lives would not have been spared. So, by giving up my fosters, I can multiply my impact and help more animals in need.

In coming posts, I'll be sharing my experiences with the dogs I foster. Each dog is unique, has different needs and touches my heart in it's own way.




My current foster pup is Leela. It's hard to say exactly what kind of dog she is. She has interesting brindle and white markings. Our best guess is that she's a boxer/border collie mix. She's approximately 8-10 months old and was rescued last night from IACC. She's very sweet, affectionate, playful, loves people and other dogs. She definitely deserves a good home!



No comments:

Post a Comment